You may know my friend, Kristin Marks, is in the running to be “Mom of the Year” over on Columbus Parent. “Mom of the Year?!” you may be thinking. I know, I know. So we all know that’s kind of wacky to say, right? But listen, Kristin deserves to win because she’s a little bit like you and me. Now, don’t get too excited yet. She doesn’t yell at her kids as much, and she’s not as big of a slob, and she cooks a little bit more. So that’s how she ended up here, but let me tell you how she is like us a little bit too.
1. Kristin gets tired sometimes.
2. Kristin gets tired of her kids sometimes even!
3. Kristin will listen to you tell a story of how your dog died in 4th grade and she will cry. Really hard like she knew you then.
4. Kristin will laugh at you on the phone when you are imitating you husband saying things like, “Is this garlic? Remember I don’t like garlic!”
5. Kristin will come and get your kid when you feel like ass.
6. Kristin will tell your kids what to do like they are hers. Only really great friends and mothers can do that.
7. Kristin will go grab a quick beer with you.
8. Kristin will organize an outing with you and your kids and not make you get a babysitter.
9. Kristin will organize and outing with you without your kids and help you get a babysitter.
She has an awesome blog that shows you fun things to do with your kids and inspired me to do the Toy Appliance Derby.
Look, we’ve all been tired moms, and sad moms, and joyous moms, and messy moms, and suddenly-this-house-is-so-messy-it-must-be-cleaned-now moms, and loved our friends to death who have busy lives and kids and juggle it all somehow. This is a vote for them! For all of us! Those friends and what I call “normal” moms.
What I mean by “normal” is that I can be comfortable around her and not feel judged when I fall short of “mom of the year.” When my house is messy and she sees it, she doesn’t even raise her eyebrows. She pushes the papers to the side and sits right down. I think it’s because Kristin knows that we are all “Mom of the Year” some days.
Here’s a nice post she wrote about this whole thing.
She had really helped me out these last few years and I’d like to help her out now. Go and vote. It’s easy.